Sundakkai kuzhambu is made using sundakkai with tamarind. Which is nutritious side dish for rice made in festival occasions.
Ingredients required for Sundakkai Kuzhambu:
- Sundakkai -200 gram if it is raw (50 grams if it is dried.
- Tomato -2(chopped)
- Curry masala -5 table spoon( Home made)
- Coconut- 2 table spoon (grated)
- Roasted bengal gram-25 gram
Preparation of masala for Sundakkai kuzhambu:
If you don’t have curry masala at home. You can make it at home at that moment.
Ingredients required to make curry masala:
- Coriander -5 table spoon
- Cumin seeds -1 table spoon
- Fennel seeds -1/2 table spoon
- Poppy seeds -1 tea spoon
- Cinnamon-1/4 inch
- cloves -2 pieces
- Bengal gram-1/2 teaspoon
- Black gram-1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds-1/4 tea spoon(optional)
- Curry leaves -1/4th handful.
- Ground nut oil-1 table spoon
Preparation of curry masala:
Firstly put pan on stove. But it should be in medium flame and let the pan heat. Then add two drops of oil then fry each ingredient separately as light brown in color.
Let’s wait until it becomes cool for some time. Then put them in mixie jar and grind it into a fine powder.
It is our home made masala. You can add or reduce the spices according to your taste.
Now, take 5 table spoon of masala , 2 table spoon of coconut and roasted bengal gram then grind them into a fine paste by adding some water.
This is the masala to cook sundakkai kuzhambu.
Things required for seasoning:
- Ground nut oil or sesame oil-3 table spoon
- Mustard, urid dal, bengal gram dal- 1 teaspoon each.
- Big onion -1chopped
- Green chili , red chili- 3 each (cut each into two pieces)
- Curry leaves – 1/4th handful(Finely cut into pieces)
- Coriander leaves -1/4th handful(finely cut into pieces.
- Tamarind juice- 100ml(Medium thick)
- Turmeric powder-1 teaspoon
- Salt- required amount
- Garlic-6 gloves
Preparation of Sundakkai kuzhambu:
Firstly take sundakkai and remove all the seeds by crushing and rinse out all seeds.
Fry that sundakkai without seed in a pan under medium flame by adding 1/2 table spoon of oil. Fry it until it turns pale green. Keep it aside.
If it is dried sundakkai, fry it with oil and keep it aside.
Now, put vessel in medium flame and let it heat for some time. Then add oil then mustard. Let the mustard to burst.
Add onion, chili, garlic gloves and curry leaves. Saute until the onion turns medium brown. Then add chopped tomato fry it until it cooks well.
In addition, add fried sundakkai with the seasoning, then fry them well. Then add salt, Tamarind juice and turmeric powder. Finally add the masala and add water about how much thickness of kuzhambu you need. So, add the water according to your taste. But here Kuzhambu should be thick.
Then let it cook until sundakkai becomes well cooked. Then turn off the stove and add the coriander leaves.
Finally, our tasty Sundakkai Kuzhambu is ready to have with rice.
Most importantly Sundakkai is healthy so, certainly elders and children will like to taste it.
Certainly every mom prepare this and keep your family healthy family!
It is excellent side dish to rice. 🙂